The Cyclopedia of New Zealand
Otago & Southland Provincial Districts
Christchurch, New Zealand
THE EAST TAIERI RIFLES , one of the oldest established volunteer corps in Otago, was founded in 1864, with a strength of sixty-five men; the late Mr. James Allan, of Hope Hill, was captain, and Messrs James Todd and Thomas Shand, were lieutenants. Captain Allan retired after two years, and his place was successively taken by Messrs Andrews, Rissel, and Carncross. Captain Alexander Cameron is now in command, and is assisted by Lieutenants MacLaurin and Quelch.
ALLAN, JOSEPH , Farmer, “Hopehill,” Allanton. Mr. Allan is a son of the late Mr. James Allan, one of the early pioneers of the province, and was born on his present estate. He received his education at the Union Street school, the Otago Boys' High School, and the University of Otago. To qualify himself as a surveyor, Mr. Allan joined the Government survey camp, under Mr. John Strauchon, and after five years of service went up for his examination, which he passed on the 14th of May, 1879. He was then appointed by the Government to take charge of a survey part at Roxburgh, and held the position with credit to himself and his employers. Subsequently Mr. Allan returned to “Hopehill,” and took charge of the estate, which he conducted successfully for a number of years. However, a few years ago, he found it absolutely necessary, on account of ill-health, to take a much needed rest, so he leased the property to a tenant, and relieved himself of the care and worry of management. Mr. Allan is an honorary life member of the Otago Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and also a member of the Taieri Agricultural and Pastoral Association. In the past he has been a most successful exhibitor of sheep; indeed, at one time there were hardly any sheep in the Taieri that could compare with the Hopehill flocks. He was for ten years a member of the Otago Hussars, which he joined as a trooper, and resigned as a lieutenant. Mr. Allan has been twice married; first, in 1893, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Maitland, of the Isle of Man, Liverpool, who was owner and editor of the “Liverpool Mercury.” In 1898 he married a daughter of Dr. Salmond, Professor of Mental and Moral Science at the University of Otago. He has one son by his first wife, and two sons and one daughter by the second marriage.
MR. JAMES ALLAN , sometime of “Hopehill,” Allanton, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1824. He accompanied his family to Nelson, in 1842, by the ship “New Zealand,” and first arrived in Otago, in 1846, with a survey party, who were engaged in surveying around the Clutha. In the following year he and bakehouse on the corner of Rattray and Princes Streets, Dunedin, where they carried on business until 1853. In May of that year, he removed with his family to “Hopehill,” Taieri, which he had previously stocked with sheep, and where he resided until his death in 1891, at the age of sixty-seven years. He left a family of seven sons and four daughters. Mr. Allan took a prominent part in the local affairs of the district. He was a member of the Provincial Council until the abolition of the provinces; a Commissioner of the Waste Lands Board, a member of the Education and River Boards; captain of the first East Taieri Rifle; and a leading spirit in everything pertaining to the welfare of Otago. Mrs Allan, who survives her husband, arrived in New Zealand by the “Ajax,” in 1849, and still (1904) resides at Mosgiel.