Saint Clement's Wells
NT37SE 68 c. 375 713
The OSA notes that “the most considerable distillery now in Scotland is carried on at St Clement's Wells” (NT 375 713) “Coal is conveniently situated in a park adjoining the work”. At that time there was a small village of 145 inhabitants, most of whom worked the coal, in the vicinity of Falside Castle (NT 377 709), while the population of St Clement's Wells was 74; in 1800 it had risen to 209. Now only the farm remains.
OSA 1791; P M'Neill 1883
M'Neill, P. (1883) Tranent and its surroundings. Page(s): 160
OSA. (1791-9) The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, in Sinclair, J. (Sir). Edinburgh. RCAHMS Shelf Number: B.2.2.STA