10 April 1891
The first building here was errected in about 1850, on the crown of a ridge about 200 yards below the main road, close to the boundary line of the section that later became Laureston Farm. This house was one of the usual pioneering type, consisting of clay or sod walls, thatched roof, and earth floor.
In the summer months of 1853-54, Robert Murray, a carpenter from Tokomairiro built a more modern dwelling on the Main South Road, from the timber sawn by John Allan, jr., and his pit-mate Thomas Hastie (later a noted sheep shearer), in the Saddle Hill bush. An extension was added about 25 years later, using timber from Southland.